Sunday, August 30, 2009

Partial Luck and Substitution

Alright, so after some debate I finally decided to knit my year-three-and-up Harry Potter scarf from Lion Brand Wool-Ease, in Gryffindor colors for now and maybe another house once I recover from the ribbing coma. But my paycheck has a week or so to show up, so I've been knitting this scarf only in my daydreams. I thought about it all the time--the stripes, the rib, the fringe, how it would wash. Then the other day when I was antiquing with my Grandma Helen and my sister, I was thinking extra hard. Wishing and hoping for Wool-Ease. How much would I need for the main color? Four skeins? Certainly the contrasting color would only need one. Wool-Ease...Wool-Ease...Wool-Ease...I paused in one of the little booths to peek in an old trunk. Rug kit, embroidery...oh my gosh NO WAY! What did I find?


Four skeins of Wool-Ease, for $7.20. That's only $1.80 a skein, folks! Granted, it's not the right color for any kind of Hogwarts house scarf, but I think I've found something to divert me for a good long time while I wait. After a search on Ravelry, I pulled up the Gwynedd pattern from Knitty winter 2008. It's a gorgeous reversible cable scarf, super thick to hold up against winter winds. It's sure to take quite a while, but I figure it'll be the perfect landscape to try out this new technique on, and get an awesome result at the end of it!

No comments: