Sunday, August 9, 2009

An Alteration of Fates

Well, it does seem that my scarf wish came true! Digging through the stash, praying for some red wool, (though I knew from the get-go I only had one skein of red wool and it was being utilized for the black belts' Christmas presents, but hey, dare to dream), I stumbled upon an unexpected alternative.


100% pure spun alpaca, in a sport weight. Two hanks my dad had picked up for me a little while back. It's softness matched the many descriptions I have read, as well as it's lightweight feel. I had planned to save it for just the right project. Every time I saw it I would smile and wonder what it would become! A cabled hat? Mittens or gloves light enough for fall? A lacy little shawlette? I would hold out until I found the project worthy of it! And I do believe I have!

(Picture wouldn't load, sorry :P)


The scarf I was craving, knit on size 5US straight needles. (Can you believe it? Straights! I haven't used straights in such a long time! I found them sitting in the attic, pouting and collecting dust). This scarf, or swatch as it stands right now, is light yet warm, with a slight soft halo of fuzz and many different shades of grey. It will go with anything I decide to throw on, which is always helpful considering just how many mismatched cold-weather items a knitter accumulates. It is just thin enough to be tucked inside my pea coat, yet thick enough to stand on its own on top of a sweatshirt in the fall. This scarf will be absolutely, utterly perfect!


And to think. Just a little while ago, I would have never pictured this yarn or this project crossing paths.

No comments: