Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day: Round Two

A donation of yet another t-shirt from my sister resulted in yet another recycled bag for me :) On a business trip to Austin, Texas my mom came back with shirts for each of us, each different, but having the same slogan on them-"Keep Austin Weird." No longer wearing her tie-dye tee, it was handed over to me, and the Generation T book reopened.

This time, I attempted to stitch up a drawstring bag. It called for two tees, but I had planned on acquiring a plain dude's undershirt for the lining rather than using one of my logoed ones. My (rather prominent) impatient side won out, and instead I found a scrappy old curtain in the depths of my fabric bin. "What if it frays?" I asked myself. "What if it isn't strong enough?" My impatient logic once again shone through, though perhaps with greater purpose. Buying a new shirt defeated the point of making this bag out of materials otherwise headed for the landfill, and this frayish curtain would be unseen anyway, sandwiched between the psychedelic outer layers.

Cut, pin, sew...what was next? Aha! Straps! Uh-oh...the instructions called for a slice of the shirt, cut from hem to shoulder, both sides still connected. I had scissored straight across the bottom while cutting out the body of the bag, and up the side, leaving myself strapless. Instead?

More recycling.

I found something funky in my attic. A bunch or rings crocheted together with cord. Thin cord. Use this...how? Cut, unravel thread from both ends, chain a long strap with two thin strands held together. Could have worked, but the drawstring tube was too thin for both straps to fit through. Back to the drawing board.

Instead, revert back to the (now modified) instructions. Cut open the tube resulting from slicing off the bottom, and split it into two short-ish straps. Instead of tying an overhand knot through the holes in the base of the bag and wasting precious inches, thread through, overlap ends slightly and run zig-zag stitching back and forth over each end. Done, and JUST long enough.

End result?



Not bad. Not bad at all.

No comments: