Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Uneventful Soak

I'm so proud of myself-really I am! I feel like an overprotective parent with my child home from their first day of school. Why? Well I...I...

I washed the socks!

I've only ever stuck any kind of knitting in the washing machine if it was Red Heart or some other extremely synthetic yarn, something with an unbelievable tolerance for abuse and cheap enough that if it was lost to the soapy suds I wouldn't have just lost my life savings. I fully understand that the Slippery socks weren't entirely wool. I also recognized that what wool there was in the fiber content was washable. All the same, as I poured the detergent into the slot on the washing machine I was breaking out into a sweat. On my limited budget I couldn't even afford to replace the oh-so-cheap Kroy sock yarn if I screwed up. The drying process was even worse-the instructions said to dry on low heat, but after two runs they were still super damp. I kicked it up to medium heat and the whole 48 minutes the pair was in it's little spinning torture chamber I was losing it. What if they shrunk? What if they stretched? What if they stuck to each other? What if the color bled? What if flying monkeys sabotaged them? What if I was finally going crazy? What if, what if, what if...

They came out fine. A bit snug at first, which stopped my heart for a moment when I tried them on again. It was temporary though, and after five minutes of walking around they fit perfectly just as before.

*sigh* I had best get used to this. I have a sock marathon ahead of me...a group of my friends have their birthday's in a small block of time, and I will have to crank out several (belated) birthday pairs.

1) Froot Loop in Kroy, a pale blue-navy-magenta-violet colorway.
2) I dunno what pattern, but it will be worked in even more orange-navy-pink-violet Kroy.
3) Pattern unknown, blue Sock-Ease with brown streaks.
4) Plain stockinette, Sock-ease in Sour Ball (yes, I knew the colorway name! Woot!)

Then I start on the family...three aunt's, my uncle's girlfriend, my other uncle, several grandparents, many cousins, and by then replacements for my mom...geeze I think after my friend's socks I'll take a break on something that doesn't involve making two of the same item. Like a simple shawl. Or a monotonous afghan. Something where I can hide when I just can't turn another heel.

Alright I'll work now if you insist...I need to actually have an FO to post someday!

No comments: