Thursday, July 3, 2008

Lakeside Knitting

My parents decided to take a trip to the Adirondacks as a celebration of their 15th anniversary, and as a result my sister and I have been on a vacation of our own. My aunt lives in Florida, but last year bought a summer home in the finger lakes as incentive to visit more often. This is where I have been spending the last week, either curled up in the hammock with a good read or purling away on the deck. It is beautifully calm, and the perfect place to work on some summer knitting.

What am I knitting this summer? Well I have decided to begin what should have been started a long time ago. Though I have been knitting for three or four years now, I have never finished a sweater. Not even a baby cardigan. I was shocked to realize i had been so lax, and decided that my cousin's daughter was in need of a little something to keep the chill away on her first birthday. And with a bit of tan acrylic I indirectly inherited, I began the Trellis pattern from Knitty. I got past the armhole shaping on the back when I realized I was being both cheap and lazy. Cheap for not investing in some decent yarn for such a monumental knitting leap as a first sweater, and lazy for skimping out by knitting a garment for little people. I have until September for her birthday, and set it aside in favor of a project for myself.

My next choice was the Esperanza Long Cardigan from the 2005 Pattern-a-Day Knitting Calender, in Lion Brand Homespun Windsor. It's been going super fast on size 10 1/2 needles, and I have to say the foot after foot of stockinette isn't nearly as monotonous as I thought it would be. The color is so delicious I have yet to get bored, and I think that this will be the perfect sweater intro (plus it will give me practice with knitting set-in pockets!). My biggest concern now is the seaming...I'm afraid I'll ruin all of my hard work with my iffy hand-sewing skills! But I shouldn't worry prematurely-it's time to go back to the needles. Have a wonderful Fourth of July!

No comments: