Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Shopping of a Different Sort

I know when my parents gave me that much-needed cash, I said I was going to have a Knit Picks field day. I know. But I caved, and blew it all at the yarn section of my local Ben Franklin. I also know I raved about how beautiful the yarn would be when it showed up on my doorstep. Well I didn't buy yarn. I decided that if I was going to get through the summer with any brain cells intact at all, I would need some mental stimulation. Books!

I first walked past the display case full of amigurumi, the cutie critters resembling Japanese cartoons. The turtle with the tie-dye shell was too cute, the little brown dog too adorable, and the books too conveniently placed below them. I reached for Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet by Ana Paula Rimoli. I prefer knitting to crocheting, but the occasional switch will keep me awake through those mind-numbingly boring days that seem to drag on forever.

Next I passed the needles. What did I see but a pack of four sizes of sock needles for $10! Socks are a great project to take on summer trips, and the great array of yarns for them beautiful and affordable so I snatched up the bargain before anyone else caught wind of it. (When I got home of course I noticed there was only three of the promised four sets in the package. That's what I get for being cheap!).

By this point I had finally made it to the actual yarn section, but as I loaded my arms with Kroy sock yarn to go with my needles, the wool blend rubbing against my arms, I realized that today was one of those days that was too hot to knit. I know, I know blasphemy. But I couldn't bring myself to even consider fiber on a ninety degree day. I left and on the way out passed...a basket of even more knitting books! I supposed if I couldn't knit physically, I would do the best I could mentally on it and grabbed a copy of At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much by the Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McFee. Now when the mercury rises, my fiber obsession can continue!


What will I do now? Well I suppose I'll sit an inch from the air conditioner and search the web for wool I won't see until my wallet feels a little heavier.

No comments: