Sunday, July 20, 2008

Slippery Socks are Finally Finished!

Yes, it's true. I at long last have a pair of woolly, cabled, hand-knit socks for myself! I have only ever made one full pair, for my mom to lounge around the house in, and they ended up with the toe of the second sock much smaller than the rest of the pair. (I think it was my excitement to finish them that made me grip my working yarn extra tight, and I can't blame myself for that so my mom will have to manage). I will post pics when I can locate the whereabouts of my camera, which seems to have mysteriously disappeared.

As to the updates to my W.I.P's list...

The cute amigurumi dog is no more, I am sorry to say. I ran out of the necessary orange yarn, and since the whole point of me learning to do this was to use up scraps I refuse to purchase more. The Trellis Cardigan went horribly wrong, as I set it down for a month without noting where I was past the armhole decreases and it turned out wonky when I tried to figure it out for myself. Little Zoe will just have to do with some sort of hat for her first birthday, or whatever else I can whip up on a $5 budget. The Esperanza Cardigan is still on hold, and will remain thus until the mercury plunges. There is no way I could stand knitting in 90 degree heat with an extra-long sweater back trailing over my lap. Not gonna happen. (Unless, of course, my parents suddenly decide to acquire central air).

On a brighter note, I started a pair of socks for one of my bff's. They are yet another Knitty pattern, Froot Loops. They have a bit of cabling to keep it interesting like Slippery, but these cables are worked over a repeat of seven stitches and four rows and thus is much easier to memorize and execute. I have the first done, and cast on for the second last night. I hope they finish soon, as I have two more skeins of Kroy sock yarn in a playful colorway, and my first ball of Lion Brand Sock-ease to try out calling my name. It's back to the sticks for now...I hope my sister can work the fire extinguisher-the bamboo needles are starting to smoke!

No comments: