Thursday, July 10, 2008

Knitting Circle Longing

I am currently knitting circle deprived.

I didn't really have an official group to begin with-my friends have never gotten as hooked on knitting as I have, and while my local yarn store has a well-established one no one is even close to my age and thus I feel out of place. When I first desired a group I hadn't yet discovered the unlimited resources of the internet knitting community, and needed someone to talk to about knitting. Badly. So what did I do? I taught my sister and cousins to knit!

My sister has done well, accepting a small degree of my advice at first and now slogs through everything herself. The oldest of my locally-based cousins dropped it, as he would rather play with an Xbox than play with yarn. He does humor me though, not getting exasperated if I pull out the sticks while I wait for a turn on Guitar Hero. The middle child knits on and off. She has completed a few scarves for her dolls and took part in a community blanket with her girl scout troop, but she usually loses her needles before I can teach her much beyond knit and purl. Oh well. like her brother she has learned to tolerate and even take an interest in whatever WIP I show up on their doorstep with. The youngest is terrorized by the three cats tangling her yarn, but she seems to like sitting with me on the couch and knitting while we watch tv. All in all, the four of them make up the closest thing I have to a knitting circle, a circle of which I am now deprived.

My sister is still here of course, but two people hardly make a circle. The other three members (who may not even know of their membership) have gone with their grandma and other cousin to visit their family in California for a month. I'm glad they can see everyone, but I miss them all and their fiber acceptence. I suppose if I want knitting companions, I'll have to go check out my local LYS.

Oh and guys if you're reading this I really miss you and can't wait to have you home again. Have fun in California! (And for goodness sake would it kill you to drop an email once in a while? Just kidding. Love you all!)

No comments: