Monday, November 24, 2008

Nothing Gold Can Stay

So quotes Ponyboy in The Outsiders. And it's true.

Our last show was put on Sunday afternoon. It's over.

This time it was the Seniors' turn to talk in the spirit circle, where each class gets a chance to speak before a show to the cast about musical and their experience. By the end there was nary a dry eye in the band room-even the guys were crying over the end of what I consider the best experience I've ever had, and the fact that our beloved seniors will never have another performance with us. I'll never have another practice with Jack Scott whispering hysterical things in my ear backstage, or fight with my fave stage crew member over whether I need to smile or not. They don't have to leave yet, but they will, and we'll just have to face next year without them all.

So throughout act one, each scene was the first time this year I have had to feign a smile onstage. And throughout act one, the adults scolded us for crying and causing our makeup to run. But I for one didn't completely pull myself together until intermission, and many others didn't either. After the show we bonded together for the last time, all 60-70ish of us, stage crew and all, at the cast party. One of my fellow freshman and I straightened our guy friends' hair. (One looked uncharacteristically emo, another like a girl). The dj's played good music, and I danced with a bunch of my friends of all ages and genders. It was great,and a really fun time. Even the adults got involved! But by the end I was crying again, the whole way home. Because really, we were all each other's family. I have no older siblings, and have gained so many of them only to suddenly realize that at some point I'll have to say goodbye to all of them. All I can say is the fact that all of us were so reluctant to let this experience end means that it was a great one, and hopefully all the seniors will come back next year to help make the show a success, and cheer us on. I love you all musical cast, and couldn't have wished for a better group of people to put on this amazing show with! Hugs!

No comments: