Monday, June 18, 2012

Buried in Socks

I am the first to admit that technology is not my strong point. Hopefully my new blogging app will not have too steep of a learning curve! I love my iPad, so maybe this new excuse to use it will whip my blogging butt back into shape!

School is out, but while it was in session I managed to churn out sock after sock after sock. Here is a sampling...

Dumbledore's Christmas Stockings and some Stroll sock yarn. This pattern knit up quickly, and the knit/purl texture means these stretch in all directions. Very comfortable; I would knit these again.

Clandestine socks by Cookie A., also knit in Stroll (I think). They came out nicely. I did misunderstand the pattern a few times, and there was a lot of tinking and frogging involved, but I always seem to do that with Cookie's patterns.

Nutkin was up next, so I could test my KnitCompanion app. It was knit in some kind of Cascade sock yarn, I just can't remember the exact kind. The yarn itself lacked softness when I was working with it, but it seems to be holding up far better than the Stroll yarn in terms of pilling, so i guess it was a good trade-off. I used a slip-stitch heel flap, and my usual toe. I employed half of a purl round to imitate the three-needle bind-off. I love the hemmed cuff! No matter how many times I turn a hem for a picot edge or whatever, I feel like it's magic.

A plain pair, the Yarn Harlot's sock recipe in Patons Kroy. They make me think of raspberries.

Another plain pair in some kind of Knit Picks yarn. I think the color way was Cartoons? Appropriately playful.

Another Cookie design, Cusp. The name allowed me to justify knitting in my Calc II class. Yes, my teacher did go along with it. And yes, as is always the case with Cookie's patterns, I frogged. A lot.

And the grand finale! Edwardian Boating Socks, a free Ravelry pattern. The yarn is Knit Picks Fairy Tales, and the colorway is something about a mirror. These socks are perfect! The slipped stitch pattern shows off the graduated colors beautifully, and if I didn't have to hand wash these I would wear them every day without worrying that people would question my hygiene. Unfortunately, the picture displays none of these fantastic qualities.

I love them anyway. You can take my word for it.

And for the record, this Blogsy app is surprisingly easy to work! Famous last words, I know. Hopefully this continues to be the case. For now, I have to edge a shawl...

No comments: