Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Yarn Crawl '09!

Yes yes yes, a Yarn Crawl! Four of the main yarn stores in the area came together for a day of yarn sales, demos, door prizes, and (if you visited all four venues in the set time frame), huge gift basket drawings! My birthday is coming up next month, so instead of waiting for my present, my mom suggested that she give me a budget, and take me around from store to store.


Well, what would you have chosen? :) Ben Franklin doesn't have the most sophisticated, well-known-name selection, so I had such a blast digging through the mountains of wooly, sheepy hanks. At the first shop, I petted some Rowan Felted Tweed, and dug around in some Lamb's Pride before finally settling on some ultra light alpaca.

Classic Elite Inca Alpaca, 100% alpaca, 109 yards per 50 gram skein. Two skeins of each color, for a faire isle chullo! The Cross-Country Chullo from Knitty! I've had a total ear-flap-hat obsession lately, but I'll get into that another time...

At the next shop I grabbed some Malabrigo Chunky, kettle dyed, Intenso colorway? Or at least I'm assuming? Either way, it'll make something gorgeous and warm. Maybe a skullcap or mittens.
And then while waiting in line to pay, I snagged some sock yarn...



The Perwinkle Sheep, Watercolors Sock Yarn, 80% superwash merino and 20% nylon. There's 420 yards to a skein, all of it hand dyes Caramel. Either it was renamed or mismarked originally though, because right under that is a crossed-out butter cream. Either way, I think it's gorgeous, and just subtle enough for a cable maybe.

I shall continue this another time, or I fear I'll never finish another post...

No comments: