Sunday, October 19, 2008

Together...Together...Together Everyone...

Yep, our school is working on a production of High School Musical and I'm in it. No big lead for a freshie like me, just an extra, but still a ton of fun. I must confess the movies never made my list of flicks to obsess over, and I believe that was due to my annoyance with everyone's infatuation over the actors and actresses. It's a whole different story now, as instead of covergirls dancing and singing along it's my friends and I, not to mention we have some songs in the musical version that were missing from the actual movie. Our director rewrote almost all of the songs for four or five part harmony so the guys wouldn't have to kill themselves to reach the higher parts of their range for the whole show, and when we work on the songs they sound pretty good, some almost operatic. The challange comes when we get back up on stage and need to concentrate on dancing and just having enough breath support as well as not slipping up and singing whatever part we hear. The show isn't until the week before Thanksgiving and we've already completed act one and part of act two, so out director is also writing an extremely lengthy medley, (we call it the megamix) with every song in the show in it, just like last year when the classes before mine did Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

And along with musical has come knitted requests :) A hat for my friend playing Martha, who also pretty much sings for our whole alto section. Everyone listens for her, so if she doesn't know it? Neither do we. Things get ugly when she misses a practice. A scarf in Super Saver Banana Berry for another bff, who isn't in musical this time around but has done it in the past. And finally another gift for the alto-playing-Martha, who needed a quick scarf for a party and ended up with a shortish one made of Lion Brand Homespun in lack and some kind of slightly graduated tan strung together on size 19 needles. The stretch has almost made up for the stubbiness caused by trying to stretch leftovers. Should get it to her by tomorrow. Toodles.

1 comment:

WitchyOne said...

Hey cuz -
I too was once an innocent by-stander to the HSM craze, but after listening to the soundtrack for the millionth time with my daughter (the #1 fan) I find the tunes rather snappy. So if you happen to get larengitis (sp?) the night of your big show, I'd be happy to jump in as your understudy. I'm sure a 37-year old would hardly stick out on stage (yea right!)

I am desperatly trying to finish a knit jumper for my daughter before her birthday....tomorrow. Since I still have the front, the finishing, and two pockets to do I fear it may have to be a Christmas present. In which case it will no longer be a jumper...it will be a shirt. C'est la vie de la knitter.

Love ya