Saturday, October 13, 2012

Speed Demon

Now, the following picture LOOKS like roughly half of a men's sock.

In reality, it is so much more than that. I dare say that it is a completed pair of socks.

This sock yarn began its life as a lovely Paul Atwell sock. This combination of yarn and pattern was so absurdly gorgeous, that both I and my father were enamored. That is a rare occurrence. However, I did have the sneaking suspicion that I would run out of yarn. I chose to ignore this gut feeling, and ended up in the middle of the gusset with half of my sock yarn for the WHOLE PAIR gone. Sadly, this was frogged. Half a sock.

Next, I decided on Earl Grey. I have knit this pattern twice, and I figured this would use far less yarn than that yarn-eater Paul Atwell. I was right, but not right enough. Halfway through the toe decreases, I weighed what yarn I had left. Just over half of the hank had gone. ^%@)$!!! I had knit all but the last few rows of a men's size 10 1/2 sock IN ONE DAY (please be impressed), and I now had to rip back past the foot, and heel, and gusset, frog half of a repeat of the cable on the cuff, and continue on. One and a half socks.

After that, I wound the yarn (without bothering to steam it this time), and knit knit knit until I finished the gusset on the third attempt. Another half of a sock. That makes two finished socks . Wanna look at that picture again?

I believe I have a pair.

 

No comments: